Friday, January 9, 2009

Bummer

So if any of you have been following the problem I was having with the rolling nightmare, I got some news.....I think I figured out what it was.

To recap: I was going crazy last season trying to find out why my bike felt like it had no power. It would go pretty fast, but getting there was a chore. It just felt like it was lacking. I tried and checked everything I could think of (and a big thanks to all of you that helped me), new clutch plates and steels, switched points to electronic ign., swapped coils, adjusted timing over and over, pushrods, you name it I tried it. Well the one thing I couldn't/didn't check I finially got around to since I'm tearing the bike down for a complete overhaul. I started pulling the valves out of the heads to clean them up and yup, you guessed it..........


BENT EXHUAST VALVE ON THE FRONT HEAD!!!!


Of course it was the last one I pulled. The other 3 all spun out nice and smooth. I still haven't got the bent one out. It won't spin at all and only has about 1/3 of it's full open and close movement. It didn't show on a compression test because it would fully close, just not open all the way. Weird. Guess I got real lucky it didn't seize up on me, especially during the Gypsy Run!!

The good news is that I have another set of heads and valves pretty much ready to go. I measured out the valve stem to guide clearance and they're all within spec. The seats measure a little deep though, so it looks like the heads will be going to the machine shop to have some new hardened seats put in.

All in all, it could've been a heck of a lot worse and it was a good learning experience. Don't you love when things work half-assed and don't just break? Sure makes things a lot more complicated!

5 comments:

the good captain said...

Bent valve = slow Ironhead

Straight valve = still not fast enough Ironhead

Signed,

The Bandit

Cain said...

Oh SNAP!

Paul said...

That's cool, a simple problem that made itself known without taking out lots of expensive hardware.
Get it back together, riding season's almost here!

Wait...no it's not.

KnuckleBuster said...

I really think you should have waited and tried to fix it on a camping trip...

Cain said...

HAHAHA!

You know Jay, I thought about it. Night time, in the woods, barely any light, and not having the correct tools or parts. I mean really, what could go wrong?