Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Starrett

So the other day I was walking out of my shop, when our accountant comes walking in the other way with a box in his hands. Being polite (and nosey) I say hello and ask him what's in the box. He tells me that his ex-wife had given him some tools that he left behind a few years ago, and that he planned on just selling them to whoever wanted them. I've known him for about 10 years, and he tells me something that I had no idea about: he was formerly a millwright before he became an accountant.

Inside the box was all kinds of machinist's tools, and almost all were Starrett tools. Starret is located in Athol Massachusetts, and has been producing high quality tools for over 125 years.

He tells me to take a look and see if there's anything I may be interested in. I grab a few items, and we agree upon a price. I ended up scoring a 4 piece small hole gauge set, a 6 piece telescoping gauge set (actually 8 pieces because he had 2 extras in there), a micrometer, and a 4 piece punch set. All had for less than the small hole gauge set goes for. Granted they all have some years on them, but they all function perfectly. The mic has a little pitting on the body, but the rod faces are perfect, and it's still in alignment. Lucky day for me!


(Sorry about the pictures. I really need to get a light box, and not take pictures when I'm tired)



4 comments:

Richie said...

Good score.
I'd like to know how the guy made the leap from machinist to accountant.
Wait.....maybe I wouldn't.

Cain said...

I asked the same thing. I never really got a full answer. Something about the ex-wife and her father?

KnuckleBuster said...

There was something awe-inspiring when I rode through Athol at 11:30pm on my way to Josh's house and saw that big Starrett sign looming over the town.

Nice score man.

Cain said...

Yeah, I think we'll have to ride out to Josh's again this season, and maybe see if we can take a factory tour!!