Thursday, January 22, 2009

Stupid Valves Are Stupid, Good Machine Shops Rule

So I found a machine shop to take care of my valve/head work without raping me. Turns out, it was right around the corner from me. I went there the other day and ended up talking to the owner, Jim Reid Sr. I told him what happened and what I was looking for, and he said my favorite words: "No problem". Price wasn't what I expected either. What he ballparked was waaaaay less than most places.

We talked for a bit and he gave me a tour of the shop. They have some nice machines there. A brand new CNC machine, boring stations, lathes, you name it. Even showed me their dyno where they had a monster of an engine hooked up. Needless to say, it's the kind of place you like to find. They'll tell you what they think, sell you what you need, and will tell you when you don't need something. Check out the link below for their website.




(Also, after I removed the buggered up valve and mic'd it out, I got .339 on the top and bottom of the stem and .3405 in the middle. The guide was all out of whack too. Wierd.)

No comments: