Friday, September 25, 2009

The Cold Reality

I was just sitting here thinking, and I came back to a thought that constantly crosses my mind. Basicly, the old "judging a book by it's cover" mentality. I sit at work and watch people get raises, accolades, and anything they want because they know how to work the system. If you dress the part, and tell people what they want to hear, the sky's the limit. Unfortunately, that's the way things are nowadays. Gone are the times where hard work actually meant something. What's really sad is that people have traded pride and self respect just to get ahead.

People are too afraid to stand up for themselves or to tell the truth if it doesn't benefit them. Brass balls have seemingly been sold for scrap and been replaced with a cheaper "eco friendly" plastic version.

Tattoos: Negative
Improper dress: Negative
Telling people the truth, even if it's not what they want to hear: Negative
Not catering to someone else's ego: Negative
Having conviction and standing up for what you believe in: Negative

The list goes on and on. It's an uphill battle and it seems to be getting harder and harder to fight everyday. As corporations and businesses get bigger, and the smaller privately owned companies go the way of the dodo, and good people are being phased out in favor of "corporate yes men". I use the workplace as an example, but this really isn't just work, it's everywhere. This isn't new either, it's been like this since man first evolved, but it seems to get worse and worse as time goes on.

Just something I think about quite often. Now it's time for me to go back to work and do someone else's job for them, so they can take the credit and get another raise and promotion.


Dignity: I has it.

3 comments:

Richie said...

You left out "Rampant ineptitude"
Wait...I have no right to say anything.
I don't even have a crummy job!

*verification word: smenita
Is that one of your neighbors?

Cain said...

Yup, her sister Dorito was out throwing her trash in my yard last night.

Good one on the "rampant ineptitude" I need to sneak that one in somewhere.

Also, you have every right to say something. You haven't made it a career of sponging (sp?) off welfare and other people's taxes. Your's is only a temporary situation.....right? :)

special'79 said...

Sad but true.