Monday, October 19, 2009

Hospital Run

Ok, so getting metal in your eye sucks. Actually it more than sucks. It's a surefire way to have your day go to complete dog nuts in under a minute. Had it happen today while I was working. Don't know exactly when it happened, but my eye started bothering me today while I was working and I knew something was in it. I went out to the truck to check, and sure enough, right on my iris was a nice little copper/brass speck.

I tried flushing it with an eyewash kit from the med kit, and anything else I could think of to get it out. It didn't budge, so I had to pack everything up and drive myself to the E.R. Couple hours later, they finally saw me and did the whole "metal in the eye" routine. I can say with certainty, that it wasn't the highlight of my day. A couple hours more, and I was finally done.

Ultimately I got lucky and it got dislodged and flushed, but not before tearing a nice little scrape across my cornea. Could've been worse, and thank God it didn't slice into and embed itself into the eye. You have no idea how happy I was when I found out they didn't have to drill it out.

Metal junk + eyeball = not so much fun

3 comments:

Carr's Garage said...

I feel for you man. Ask me some time about my eye-drilling experience...scary stuff.

Cain said...

That, was my absolute worst fear! They were apologizing about all the stuff they had to do, and I kept telling them that as long as they didn't have to drill, I was happy.

Paul said...

Glad I found this gay blog!!

I love telling eye drilling stories...before they get the "spud" out (sounds cuter and less threatening than "eyeball drill") they pick the metal out with a hypodermic needle. NEEDLE. EYEBALL.
So yeah, had a needle pickin' away at my eyeball, then the drill.

Wear your freakin' glasses.